Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Reading Diary B: Canterbury Tales (Week 11)

The Prioress's Tale: Little Hugh

This story was...incredibly depressing. There are probably a lot of specific storytelling details I should focus on but I really just can't get past how sad and depressing this is. For one, anti-semitism grinds my nerves like you wouldn't believe. No matter how often I run into it, the anger and frustration never seems to dull. The use of a child was just cruel and absolutely unwarranted. But, of course, what easier way to make another group of people seem like monsters than to have them harm an innocent child. Honestly, this story disgusts me. Religion can be so...ugh. I need to move on. 

The Canon Yeoman's Tale: The Priest who Learned to be a Philosopher

Well, wasn't he a gullible little fellow. How sad for the poor priest. I'm not entirely sure what the 'moral' of this story is. Bad things happen to good people? Good people tend to be gullible? Life sucks? Maybe I'm just in a sour mood still from the first story but still, this too left me quite frustrated and I'm really not sure what to take away from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment