Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Reading Diary B: Russian Folktales (Week 13)

The Witch Girl

So Russians just really seem to have a thing for darker, creepy sort of themes. This one didn't have an unhappy ending but it was still pretty...odd? Mostly what I think I'm getting from my readings this week is that I should try to write something in the horror/scary genre.

The Headless Princess

(Well, if that isn't a creepy title I don't know what is.) Again with the creepy. The princess removing her head (while convenient for doing one's hair) was creepy enough. Then I thought maybe she'd use the priest's son to somehow come back to life but low and behold she wanted revenge. then her father has her staked to keep her dead and the peeping tom gets riches and land. Yay. Weird. 

The Fidler in Hell

What did I just read...
I really think you need a decent amount of culture context to really get most of these...

The Coffin Lid

So vampire-esque / undeadness seems to be a really common theme in Russian Folktales. Speaking of which...

The Soldier and The Vampire

Well the was quite gruesome near the end. Once again we have an undead villain and a clever hero who tricks him and then saves the day. That appears to be the set map theme for most of these. 


No comments:

Post a Comment