Sunday, November 15, 2015

Last Words (Week 12) My Mom Got Google+

As if having a blog wasn't awkward enough...

So, from the very beginning I was pretty uncomfortable with having a blog. I'm a pretty introverted person and I share my thoughts with a very select few who I've known for a very long time and am very close to. Putting my thoughts, and my writing, out into the public was really difficult for me. 

And then my mom got Google+...

You should have seen my face when my blog had a notification that let me know my mother had +1-ed one of my reading diary assignments. That definitely took having a blog to an entirely new level of awkward. It's pretty weird to have your mother, when you're twenty-one years old, reading your homework and more or less hitting the 'like' button on it. 

It gets better...

She's probably going to see this. What if she comments on my portfolio or something? What if she starts nagging me to do my homework? Guys, seriously. This is really weird for me. Will I get used to it? I have no idea. She's pretty stubborn, I dunno how telling her to 'go away' would work. Besides, she could just ninja creep and I'd never know. At least the semester is almost over, right? 

Just kidding no it doesn't.

Welcome to the awkward life of Maria. My next round of last words will hopefully be a little brighter as I intend to talk about my upcoming trip to Korea this winter break! (So, so excited to be going back home! Yes, Korea is home to me.) Maybe there will be little tidbits from or for my mom in it. I dunno. Maybe I can make her a part of my extra-credit assignments because why the hell not? (Am I allowed to say that on a school assignment? Oh well.) 

Anyways...

Hi mom. 


6 comments:

  1. Hi Maria, your blog made me laugh because for me, having my mom read my blogs was great; she didn't call me on the phone all the time to ask what I was doing because she could see what I was doing... I was blogging...! She never quite understood what "blogging" meant, but she liked to look at the pictures and stuff. And since she never really learned how to do email attachments, cartoons and videos and everything were easier for her to see in the blog. She got really ill (it's all very sad, she died last year after being ill for a long time), but even right up to the end she would use her iPad to watch PBS videos and cat videos and to read my blogs.
    And how great that your mom knows how to use Google+! That would have been a stretch for my mother! She just had a bunch of bookmarks I made for her on her iPad and she would click on each of the bookmarks every day religiously! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, thanks for sharing your story and yes us mom's will keep embarrassing our children for the rest of forever. Love you Kiwi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria,

    This post made me laugh because I was definitely thinking she'd probably see this right before you mentioned it. That's so exciting that you get to go to Korea soon!! I hope that you have a great time and enjoy every second when you're there. It was great to get to know you a little better after reading some of your stories. Have a great rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria!!!
    I can completely understand your mom creeping on your stuff. I had to block my mom from twitter recently. I allow her to be friends with me on Facebook because I never post anything on there but twitter is where I spend all my time. She still finds ways to see my twitter from my brothers page. I absolutely feel your pain! Have a good trip back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      Your post made me giggle. Luckily I allow my daughter enough privacy that I don't creep on anything. I had no idea I was not supposed to + her posts. But I can appreciate the humor in it all. Hopefully your mom gets the picture and let you tweet....with no creeping.

      Delete
  5. It's so funny that your mom is reading your blog! It's kind of great in a way to though. You said that you only share your thoughts with people you are close to. Now your blog will feel like Sunday dinner! Neither of my parents are technologically savvy enough to use google plus. They do have Facebook though!

    It must be really exciting to be planning another trip to Korea. I know you love it there so you must be really happy! Semester is almost over. Keep chugging!

    ReplyDelete