Thursday, September 17, 2015

Story Telling: The Kindness of Christmas (and sometimes, lack thereof)


(photo credits: 1 & 2 )


Just two more. Only two because the sun was already setting. Also because Amelia had bought more than enough and her arms were getting tired from the multiple bags. Each held some priceless treasure she’d uncovered in each of the places she’d stopped to shop today.


Amelia Mariani was not one to settle with the same decorations each Christmas. She kept the basics...sometimes. Well, last year she had only kept the tree stand, but this year was different! She hadn’t found a wreath nor had she purchased anything for the mantle above the fireplace.


Going into the first of her last two shops, she looked around to get an idea of how the shop was set up. It looked like the store had started organized but was losing that as the season passed. The only place that remained in good condition was the area around the entrance, decorated to match the season remarkably well.


At the counter a man was helping a customer so Amelia started down an aisle, intent on browsing the entire store just as she did the others. The first aisle she walked down had tinsel and wrapping paper. She did manage to not pick either of those items up but the ribbons managed to end up in her hands. She only picked up three though two others had ‘spoken’ to her.


The next aisle was full of ornaments. In this aisle, a man was helping a young woman with the various types and materials of ornaments and Amelia almost found herself drawn into the conversation; she had a lot of experience with ornaments.


She heard the man attending the next aisle before she even made her way around the corner. She was used to people singing Christmas carols, humming hymns and talking about Christmas in all its forms. What she was most unprepared for was the sound of sheep. Gazing down the aisle, she noticed a man with a box, pulling little sheep out of it and placing them on a shelf.


“Poor little sheep. No one seems to want to baaa, buy you.”


Amelia watched as he reached into the box, pulling another sheep out it. It was wearing antlers and a bright red sweater. The man looked at the sheep, baa-ed at it and put it on the shelf. A small laugh fell from her lips, causing the man to turn towards her.


“Good afternoon. My name is Slade. Is there something I can help you find?”


From his quick movement, it was clear that he was embarrassed by being caught. “Um, I’d like to buy those sheep,” Amelia answered, not having put any thought into her words.


“Oh! Good.” Slade said, turning back to the sheep with a wide smile. It was clear his embarrassment was forgotten, or maybe it had never existed. “Did you know we were just discussing how no one wanted to buy them? They were starting to collect dust and the smallest one, I call her Baaaaley, she was starting to get quite upset.” He picked up the sheep and held it up towards Amelia. “She’s a beauty. Finest of her breed,” he said, handing the porcelain sheep over.


“That she is.” Amelia agreed with quiet laughter. “I’d like to take her and her entire family home, if that would be okay.” She replied, taking the little sheep into her hands and admiring it with a smile.


“I’m sure they would love that. I’ll wrap them up right away and put them at the counter if you want to keep looking...?”


“No,” Amelia said, laughing softly. “If I keep looking, I’ll buy everything.”


“I see,” Slade answered. “Well, let’s get you out of here then, shall we?”


Ten minutes later, Amelia was back to where she started, entering a shop with the intention of finding one unique piece to add to her Christmas collection. She’d been saving this one for last because it was the largest on the strip. Walking in, she could see the aisles all labeled with their items in each one.


This store was quite busy but as she walked the aisles she only crossed the path of one employee. He was decked out for the season in a bright green shirt and red tie. He appeared to be stocking the ornaments.


Even though they were numerous, they were repetitive of the same things. The same eight designs covered in various shades of glitter. The same eight crosses in eight different colors. Not even the snowflakes dared to be unique here.


Moving to the back wall, Amelia found something she truly needed. The store had hung wreaths upon the wall, on display above where they were located on the shelf. It was eye-catching and as Amelia looked for the wreath with red bows and pine cones on it she saw its location on the shelf was empty.


Frowning, she looked around and decided to go back to where she’d seen the man filling ornaments. “Excuse me. The wreath I want is out on the shelf. Do you have more?”


The boy before her shrugged, “I dunno. That’s Donna’s area.”


Amelia stared at the boy as he picked up another box. “Do you know where she is?” Amelia inquired, annoyed.


“I dunno.” 

Amelia walked away. He was clearly not going to help. Six aisles away, she finally found another employee, "Donna" her tag said. “Hi,” Amelia began, putting the boy out of her mind. “I want to buy a wreath but the one I want is out on the shelf. Do you have any more in back?” 


“If it’s not on the shelf, we don’t have it.”


“There’s one hanging on the wall above it,” Amelia pointed out, “is it not possible to purchase that one?”


“That one isn’t for sale. It’s a display item.”


“Oh. I see,” Amelia said, any possibility for other words cut off by Donna turning and walking away from her. 

“Looks like I’m done shopping,” Amelia muttered, heading for the exit. She could buy a wreath tomorrow from a different shop. Even the fake smiles where she’d bought the small figurine for her Christmas village had been more pleasant than this. This store was officially off her 'Christmas decoration adventure' list.

-


Author's Note: So, this story was tons of fun to write. Diana Agron is Amelia and Gerard Butler is the guy with the sheep. (Don't ask questions. They just are) Honestly, I don't know why that's just how I've always seen them in my head and since there wasn't really room for physical descriptions of the characters in here I wanted to give everyone a visual. 

I was using the moral from The Ox story, which was really a "you draw more flies with honey than vinegar" type of thing. In this story the owner of the OX boasts about his Ox's prowess to a crowd and even bets a large sum on him. When he tries to get the Ox to do as he says he is very mean and cruel towards the poor Ox. The Ox does not listen to his owner and so the owner is embarrassed in front of everyone and loses what he wagered. Later on the Ox asks his owner, 'why did you call me such names and treat me so badly?' Because the owner had apparently never done such a thing to the Ox. The owner apologizes to the Ox and promises to never treat him so badly again. The next day the owner treats The Ox very well and returns to the town to make the same bet. This time, as he treats The Ox appropriately, the Ox does as his owner wishes and they win the bet! 

Amelia and Slade are also two characters that I’ve written with before and am really comfortable using. When I originally wrote this I was thinking about winter break, my plans for it, and how I wouldn’t be with my family for the first Christmas ever. I was pretty upset about it so I thought writing a little Christmas cheer would help. It did.


I really liked this story so I'm excited to add it to my portfolio. :} Especially since the holidays are even closer now. Also, spoiler: Amelia and Slade do indeed share a happily ever after.  (Oh, and the young man and woman in the first aisle are Violet and her statue!)

 Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt, illustrated by Ellsworth Young (1912)

5 comments:

  1. Great story! I like how you incorporated dialogue and Amelia's thoughts within your story. Once I got to the part about the sheep, I couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know how it all ended up for Amelia. I love stories like theses because they are so relatable to everyone. We've all been at the stores right before Christmas franticly looking for those last few items to buy. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you like it. This is actually a spin-off from a little story I wrote for a friend last Christmas. Ending spoiler: Amelia ends up with the silly sheep guy! That was kinda obvious, huh? Any who, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hey Maria! I enjoyed reading your story this week. I was excited to see a Christmas story. I know it's not even Thanksgiving yet but I love getting in the spirit early. I like that you used pictures of celebrities for your characters because I got great mental images for the story. The descriptions of Amelia's shopping habits reminded me of Confessions of a Shopaholic. My favorite sentence was: "She only picked up three different ones though two others had ‘spoken’ to her." I thought your depiction of Slade was great. Even though he only had a couple of lines I got a great sense for his character. I was glad to read that Amelia and Slade end up together. I think this would be a great LifeTime movie! Overall, I think you did a great job and I look for to reading more of your stories in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maria!

    This story caught my attention because of the title of the story. I love Christmas because of all the joy and kindness that fills the air that time of year, but then when you added or “or lack thereof”, I knew this was going to be an interesting story. You did a great job at setting up the scene from the story and describing everything that is around them down to the details so I can understand when everything may look like. I also liked the part when the sheep was put on the shelf and you said “baaa, buy you”. I did not see any grammatical errors, so great job on that. And I enjoyed a lot of the dialogue that you incorporated in your story! That helped me understand what Amelia was thinking and I could visualize the scene in my head. I think the Author’s note is a little bit short, but overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your page. I can’t understand the banner but that’s ok. The background is light and peachy. It makes the stories pop so that’s good. I didn’t see grammatical errors or confusing parts so you did a good job at editing. The spacing with paragraphs is good too. It helps us read the story better to have the story broken up into smaller parts.

    I did wish you would’ve included more on your author’s note. I got the gist of it, but it would have been nice to see a summary of the original story or more on what you changed. Other than that I thought it was a good story to read and a solid story to add to your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete