Monday, September 14, 2015

Women of Historical Asia (Styles Bainstorm)

(source in photo link - it's a blog about Korea, check it out!)

Topic: For my topic I have chosen to tell the stories of the women of historical east Asia. Below I've found some stories that I really like; two from Korea, two from China, and two from Japan. However, many people forget that a part of Russia is also included in 'East Asia' and so I hope to find some stories of women in Russian folktales. I chose this topic because I've learned that though folktales and myths are often untrue, they can tell you so much about the society of the time in which they began. Beyond the fantastical and magical events, you can uncover the status of women, what seafaring was like for ancient China, and even stories that tell you what people found funny way back when. I highly doubt I'll have trouble finding stories. In fact, I think the problem will most likely be choosing only a few of the many! 

충실한 아내
(The Faithful Wife)
순종적인 딸
(The Dutiful Daughter)
倒霉的女兒
(The Favorite of Fortune and the Child of Ill Luck)
皇后天堂
(The Queen of Heaven)

プリンセス長谷の物語
(The Story of Princess Hase)

彼女の団子を失った老女
(The Old Woman Who Lost Her Dumpling)


Bibliography: So far three storybooks I've used are sarahlunefairytales.com (both Japanese stories), Korean Tales by H.N. Allen (both Korean stories), and The Chinese Fairy Book (both Chinese stories).

Storytelling Styles:

Modern Retelling: I think it would be neat to take each story and retell it in a modern setting. These stories are mostly from ancient times in their countries but I think it would be interesting to take the same story and put it in a modern setting. 

Stories of My Ancestors: I think this would be an interesting way to try and tell my stories. I imagine a little old grandmother sitting her grandkids down to tell them the stories that have passed down to her through many generations. The old woman sharing important morals through fun tales. 

Writing the Prequel: This would definitely be a bit of a challenge but I also think it would be very rewarding for me in a way. I would have to use my knowledge and studies of these ancient cultures and societies to this (something I actually don't get to do often in classes). I can see easily how it could be done with some stories but with others I'm not sure. Either way, I'd like to think about giving it a try.

First-Person Narrative: All of these stories, and probably all of the others I find, are told for a third-person storytelling perspective. I think it would be wonderful to give each main character her own voice in the scheme of things. I could change the genre of the stories that way, too. Though the events of the story are serious, that does not necessarily mean the thoughts of the central female character are, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment